H*O*T TO THE RESCUE: KEEPIN' IT COOL IN THE HEAT!
So here we are in the dog days of summer (why do we call it that?) and it's really challenging to get dressed and still look good. H*O*T to the rescue with some tips to help you with that. And having lived in Singapore for almost 7 years I'm uniquely qualified to weigh in on this one :)
10 Basic Rules -- all common sense but worth repeating:
1. Stay with natural fabrics like cotton, chambray, lightweight linen and silk.
2. Get some natural air-conditioning by wearing lace, mesh, eyelet, embroidery and crochet -- all fabrics with airy holes.
3. Don't tuck anything in -- that extra fabric at your waist is too much when it feels like 100 degrees out!
4. Stay away from clothing that clings. This is the time for billowy shapes that skim the body. Say no to jeans, but if you must wear them consider a pair made of chambray which looks like denim but is much lighter weight.
5. Wear skirts and dresses, they allow for more air circulation making you cooler than pants or shorts.
6. Choose light colors like white and pastels. Black fibers absorb more heat than lighter shades. If you do choose black, make sure it's sheer or practically weightless.
7. Don't forget to apply these rules to your undergarments! This is the time for your laciest, sheerest most minimal bras and panties.
8. Lighten up with accessories and forego the big necklaces and multiple bangles. Earrings are the best way to add style to your outfits.
9. Trade your large handbag (especially shoulder bags) for a small lightweight bag that fits just the essentials.
10. And of course this is the time for your strappiest of sandals! But let's not resort to flip flops--consider the cooly updated slide which has more support than most sandals.
12 Tips -- considerer these clothing options to stay cool this season:
1. Dresses that button down the front can be unbuttoned as high or low as you dare.
2. Long light maxi dresses or skirts that skim the body, especially those with slits up the side.
3. Lingerie or pajama dressing is totally acceptable in the extreme heat.
4. Caftans in lightweight breathable fabrics are perfect when the mercury goes up.
5. Sleeveless is the way to go but if you don't like your upper arms there are plenty of fluttery sleeve options that are cool and comfortable.
6. Sleeveless jackets and vests are another way to stay cool but still look work appropriate. This season offered lots of great options at all price points.
7. Boxy crop tops which are really trending at the moment are ideal in the heat.
8. Slip dresses might just be the ultimate cool choice for a hot summer evening. Top with a pretty cardi to make office appropriate during the day.
9. Wide leg billowy palazzo pants in silk, mesh or cotton are like instant air conditioning and perfectly in style this season.
10. Halter necks, open backs, off the shoulder and cut in shoulders are all styles you should reach for in the heat. Make them office appropriate with the addition of a cardigan, interesting shrug or light jacket.
11. Vintage dresses are some of the coolest summer dress options. Those made in the 60s and 70s were designed in lightweight washable fabrics and they have lots of charm too!
12. Swap your long pants for shorts if your office allows and you have the legs. Bermudas or long line shorts look chic when paired with cute boxy blazers or cardigans.
Don't forget to check House of Terrance where you can find lots of the options above at a great price. Happy shopping and stay cool!